discuss: KWiki

Subject: Re: KWiki
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Sep 2003 01:02:39 -0000

David,

thanks for the reply. Let me see if I understand it correctly:

- Wikis either have a copyright by a list of owners, or no copyright at all.
- A TLDP HOWTO is under the FDL.
- If a Wiki uses a TLDP HOWTO then...

- ...if the Wiki can track the conributors, then we have a complete list of
copyright owners, the Wiki is a derivative work of the HOWTO original, thus the
contributors have to set their contributions under the FDL too.

- ...if the Wiki cannot track the contributors, then there is no copyright on the
contributions and the contributions are under the public domain. Then we have a
derivative work that is made of a copyrighted FDL part (the HOWTO) and a public
domain part. In which case the whole Wiki should be set under the FDL.

Is that correct? I am still lost, because the intention is to use a HOWTO in a Wiki
and neither me (translator and maintainer) and presumably nor the author and the
other translators would like to abandon their copyrights on the HOWTO and put it in
the public domain. What do I have to tell the Wiki people? Use the HOWTO? Not use
it? Is the FDL obligatory for the Wiki if it uses (parts of) the HOWTO?

Questions over questions...

Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de