discuss: Docbook and FAQs

Subject: Re: Docbook and FAQs
From: Dan Richter ####@####.####
Date: 9 Sep 2003 19:23:07 -0000

>I need to write a FAQ(->html) and wonder if Docbook is the way to go.

We can't answer that question for you. Only you can. But here are some
questions to consider.

How big do you expect the FAQ to get? A small FAQ can easily be maintained
in HTML (and it's easy to make it look pretty, especially using CSS). In a
large FAQ, it's hard to check all the links, so DocBook's automatic link
generation and checking are welcome. Remember: DocBook = big.

Do you expect to merge this FAQ into another document? If so, DocBook is a
good choice because it's easy to merge multiple DocBook documents. (Of
course, a FAQ in HTML can simply be linked to.)

By the way, if you write the FAQ in DocBook, I can show you how to write a
stylesheet for it in CSS, which is easier to learn than DSSSL. Note that
the CSS stylesheet won't generate the HTML for you, but the HTML document
can be generated in such a way that it refers to the CSS stylesheet.

>Can anyone point to an FAQ that started out as an xml/Docbook document?

My company maintains several FAQs in DocBook, but each is part of a larger
document (which is itself written in DocBook).

   BOOT MAGAZINE: Do you consider yourself a celebrity?
   LINUS TORVALDS: Sometimes. ... But at the same time I don't have
         young girls coming and screaming at me and throwing their
         underwear! Which is just as well, as I'm a married man!