discuss: Recommended way to link to other HOWTOs?

Subject: Re: Recommended way to link to other HOWTOs?
From: "David Braun" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Aug 2003 02:28:59 -0000

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 23:14, David Lawyer wrote:
> I don't think you should link to www.tldp.org since it will create too
> much traffic.  So the best (but poor) solution is simply not to link to
> other HOWTOs.  If only somehow you could link via a search engine which
> would find the "nearest" up-to-date HOWTO.  The nearest one might be on
> your own hard-drive.

All good points.  Unghh, must, create, links...  I respect your opinion
but I'm going to link to www.tldp.org anyway.  I don't think humans
reading cross-referenced HOWTOs will generate all that much traffic.  I
believe the real value of the mirrors is for offloading people who want
the whole kit and kaboodle.  It is a shame not to have a more elegant
solution but I can't think of an easy one.

> The html HOWTOs on the mirrors which are intended for reading online,
> could be different with links per the mirror tree layout.  But this is a
> little too complicated.  If someone saves what they were reading online,
> the link will likely be broken.  How does one handle HOWTOs with images?

I followed you about saving a HOWTO, but you lost me with the question
about images.  What's the problem, exactly?

David