discuss: DocBook number of elements rant

Subject: Re: DocBook number of elements rant
From: "David Braun" ####@####.####
Date: 22 Aug 2003 23:44:21 -0000

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 16:11, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, David Braun ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > In this case I do know who will process my document:  The LDP will.
>
> Amongst others.  (You do realise you may not be writing just for the
> LDP, don't you?  This stuff goes everywhere.)

Yes, I was making an argument about increased knowledge of the target
audience, which could be used to justify the design of an LDP subset of
DocBook.  Perhaps the argument was too nuanced for this list.  I'm aware
the documents may be used more broadly.

> > Right!  So why isn't the copyright element in the Sample-HOWTO.xml?
>
> [aside:  I don't believe I'm reading this.  How anal can you get?]

You seem to have missed my point completely; I was using the copyright
element only as an example to illustrate a point.

> >   So the question I'm trying to ask is, "What are the needs of the
> > group?"
>
> Docbook.
> But you don't seem to want to accept that.

I accept DocBook, which is why I'm going through the exercise of
translating my HOWTO into it.  While I'm going through this process I
identified a cost that's slowing me down and will slow down other
authors as well.  I brought it to your attention because I thought you
might care about what makes the process more difficult for volunteers
such as myself.  If you expect most people to submit their HOWTOs in
non-DocBook formats, then maybe you don't care.  My impression, from
reading the LDP Author Guide, is that you encourage people to submit
their HOWTOs in DocBook.

I'm happy to end this conversation.  My primary concern is getting my
HOWTO finished as quickly as possible.

David