discuss: Intent to write encryption HOWTO

Subject: Re: Intent to write encryption HOWTO
From: "Adam" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2003 05:33:04 -0000

Great feedback guys.  See below.

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 09:13, Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> 1. Get in touch with the author and ask if you can take care of updating the
> document.

Okay, I just sent him a letter proposing that I take over and subsume his HOWTO.

> On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 10:43, Charles Curley wrote:
> * How does encrypting the entire hard drive affect other co-resident
>   operating systems such as *BSD or that cheap one from Redmond?
>   Rescue versions of Linux such as Tom's Root Boot
>   (http://www.toms.net/rb)?

Good question; I hadn't considered that case because it doesn't apply to
me.  I'll expand my HOWTO to include a section on encrypting individual
partitions which will handle the multiboot case.

> * How will it affect backup and bare metal restore? See, e.g. the
>   Linux Complete Backup and Recovery HOWTO
>   (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO/index.html).

It affects only the rescue disk, which I'll explain.  Everything else is
the same.

> * Could you update and present the subset technique as well as the
>   whole hard drive techique, and then present pro and con arguments
>   for each? One should weight increased security against other
>   considerations such as emergency data recovery.

Yes, I agree.  I'll drop the 'whole' and rename my HOWTO to "Disk
Encryption HOWTO" and include methods for whole disk, single partition
(multiboot), and single file (as in the existing one).

> Also, FYI, there was an article in Linux Journal that may be useful
> (Jerry Sweet, "Using CFS, the Cryptographic Filesystem",
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6381). It discusses
> several techiques briefly and details CFS.
>
> Also, "Implementing Encrypted Home Directories", by Mike Petullo, LJ,
> August 2003, not yet on the web. It covers loopback encryption but
> requires a kernel patch and some other patches.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 11:48, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> Please allow me to shamelessly suggest that your encryption HOWTO link to my
> article "Why You Should Use Encryption" at:
> http://www.goingware.com/encryption/

No problem, I'll stick it in.

Adam