discuss: Intent to write encryption HOWTO

Subject: Intent to write encryption HOWTO
From: "Adam" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Aug 2003 08:01:40 -0000

Hi,

I joined the list to express my intent to write a HOWTO entitled "Whole
Disk Encryption HOWTO".  It will instruct the reader how to encrypt a
computer hard disk (such as in a laptop) with an external key (such as
on a USB flash drive) using Linux 2.4 and the loop-AES [1] program.

I searched the existing HOWTOs and found only one that is similar:
"Loopback Encrypted Filesystem HOWTO" [2] by Ryan T. Rhea.  It describes
a similar method (loopback encryption) but works on only a subset of a
hard disk and without an external key.  It is also old (1999-11-29).

I'd like your advice about whether I should write a new HOWTO or whether
I should intend to replace [2].  There are two reasons I can think of to
replace Rhea's fine HOWTO.  One, the program for loopback encryption in
vogue today [1] comes with a README which explains the same method as in
the HOWTO but in more detail and more up-to-date.  Two, I will argue in
my HOWTO that the method of encrypting a whole disk is more secure
because one needn't worry about information leaks as much as one does
using the subset method.

What do you think?

Adam

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/loop-aes/