discuss: SCO copyright violations on LDP

Subject: Re: SCO copyright violations on LDP
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 7 Aug 2003 01:03:29 -0000

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 17:43, David Horton wrote:
> I understand your point about the relicensing.  I have been looking
> on SCO's web site trying to find where the TLDP documents are
> stored and where SCO is trying to relicense them.  I can't find
> anything.  Can you provide me with a link?  I'm not trying to be
> argumentative, I just want to see it first hand.

Sure.  Visit http://www.sco.com/company/legal/ and head down the page to
the section entitled, "Software and Documentation Information."  It will
refer you to their copyright, which is in the section directly above.
This is where SCO appears to be trying to relicense the documents.

The links to the LDP documents are:
http://docsrv.caldera.com:8457/en/Guides/index.html
http://docsrv.caldera.com:8457/en/Howto/index.html
http://docsrv.caldera.com:8457/en/FAQ/index.html
http://docsrv.caldera.com:8457/en/Framework/reference.html (man pages)

Incidentally, if you check the URLs to the LDP on each of the above
links, they refer back to the old domain name.

For example, go to the Howto link, and visit Chapter 10 (Copyright) of
the LDP HOWTO-INDEX.  Even without a GFDL, this document states:

"All translations, derivative works, or aggregate works incorporating
any Linux HOWTO documents must be covered under this copyright notice.
That is, you may not produce a derivative work from a HOWTO and impose
additional restrictions on its distribution. Exceptions to these rules
may be granted under certain conditions; please contact the Linux HOWTO
coordinator at the address given below."

Though in this case it's not a derative work, except in the sense that
it's been redistributed, SCO is trying to apply their own copyright and
restrictions based on their legal statement.  The authors of the example
above also state that they wish to retain copyright on the HOWTO
documents, and wish notification on plans to redistribute.

So it may not only be the GFDL, but even other types of licenses and
copyright notices.

Let me know what you think.

Tab

--