discuss: SCO copyright violations on LDP

Subject: Re: SCO copyright violations on LDP
From: "David Horton" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Aug 2003 00:43:06 -0000

> > Wouldn't it go against the spirit of *free* documentation to
exclude
> > SCO?  I have no love for their recent tactics, but isn't *free*
> > documentation for everyone to use?  To begin excluding
certain groups
> > just because we happen to disagree with them is a dangerous
path to
> > take.  Should we then put similar limits on free speech?  "You
can say
> > whatever you want until we disagree with you," is not really free
> > speech.  Just as, "you can modify or copy this document until
we
> > disagree with you," is not really free documentation.
>
> Well, David, normally you'd be right, except the way it looks, SCO
> appears to be trying to re-license documentation that already
contains
> copyrights and licenses which do not condone re-licensing.  It
appears
> as though SCO may be trying to copyright these as their property,
> subject to their terms, when there are already applicable
copyrights and
> licenses.
>
> And most importantly, ther are authors who have not given SCO
permission
> to do so.
>
> --
> Tabatha Marshall

Tabatha,

I understand your point about the relicensing.  I have been looking
on SCO's web site trying to find where the TLDP documents are
stored and where SCO is trying to relicense them.  I can't find
anything.  Can you provide me with a link?  I'm not trying to be
argumentative, I just want to see it first hand.

Dave