discuss: Re: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc. - using Apache Cocoon to valid8

Subject: Re: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc. - using Apache Cocoon to valid8
From: ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jul 2003 19:22:11 -0000

And I also a have online HTML validator that validates against the HTML
4.01 DTD (1998/12/25) @ http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/test.php

I think I can plugin DocBook DTD into this to create a online validator for
DocBook Content.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali

                      Saqib.N.Ali@seaga
                      te.com                   To:       ####@####.####
                      408.456.3622             cc:       ####@####.#### ####@####.#### ####@####.#### "Martin A. Brown"
                                                ####@####.####
                      07/29/2003 12:12         Subject:  Re: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc. - using Apache Cocoon to valid8
                      PM

David Merrill is developing http://www.lampadas.org/ . It is all inclusive
Documentation Management System, with Wiki, CVS and a whole lotta other
goodies.

Cocoon is a very simple way of converting DocBook XML 4.1.2 to HTML, PDF,
RTF etc.

The way I have setup the server is that you can drop a file into the
http://www.xml-dev.com/xml/ folder by using WebFolder under IE 5.0/6.0
(File -> Open (check Open as Web Folder))

And then you can access the HTML rendering of it using

http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/{howto_name}.html
http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/{howto_name}.pdf

e.g.
http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/openjade.html
http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/Apache-WebDAV-LDAP-HOWTO.html

Currently it is only capable of handeling DocBook XML 4.1.2

If anyone wants to test-drive the system, I can create a account for you,
and you can drop in the HOWTO in the http://www.xml-dev.com/xml/

In Peace,
Saqib Ali

                      Martin WHEELER

                      <mwheeler@startex        To:
####@####.####

                      t.co.uk>                 cc:       ####@####.####
####@####.#### ####@####.#### "Martin A. Brown"
                      No Phone Info
####@####.####

                      Available                Subject:  Re: Docbook, Xml,
Jade etc. - using Apache Cocoon to valid8

                      07/29/2003 11:51

                      AM

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 ####@####.#### wrote:

> I have Apache Cocoon installed on my machine. And it can do a pretty good
> job of validating, and you can see the output as well (to verify the
> presentation). Easy to install as well. Take about 20 mins.

I'm very interested in this -- I was just about to post to the list
suggesting that in parallel to all our efforts to document the setup
procedures for a Docbook processing workstation (I've actually been
writing a generalised one for SGML for academics for a while now); the
LDP also set up a web site where authors may submit markup for:

   a)  validation / parsing (according to DTD used)
   b)  rendition into a,b,c,d... presentation format(s)

thus obviating the need for non-tecnically inspired authors to go
through the trauma of setting up their own processing environment
locally.

(Didn't David Merrill use to have a site that did this?  Can't remember
the URL offhand.  His old site seems to have disppeared, too.)

Would your site be suitable for this, Saqib?
What sort of DTD library can it cope with?
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/

http://lists.tldp.org/

http://lists.tldp.org/