discuss: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc.

Subject: Re: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc.
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jul 2003 11:28:04 -0000

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 03:53, Simon Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> > You don't.  If it bugs you that much, and you've _really_ got something
> > interesting to say, write it in flat ASCII and submit it with a request
> > that someone more competent mark it up for you.
>
> Please give me a link in the Author guide which proposes this as an
> option.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/newauthors.html

"...you may write your documentation in the format of your choice and
submit a draft to ####@####.#### and the draft will be reviewed by
an LDP volunteer. In a few short days you will get the draft and
comments from the volunteer. After applying the comments, you may send
this version to the ldp-submit list again for final submission into the
LDP.

At this point, another LDP volunteer will translate your document into
DocBook and send you the finished DocBook document. From here on, all
submissions to the LDP has to be in DocBook format. If you have markup
questions, you may ask the volunteer who assisted you, or ask the LDP
DocBook list.

If you choose to start your document off in DocBook, there are plenty of
templates to get you started. Check the LDP Author's Resources page for
details."

> Like every other potential LDP author, I was pointed at the Author Guide.

The Author's Guide is a cumulative effort that, as Tille mentioned, is
being reviewed and revamped by Emma Jane Hogbin, based on an outline
submitted for peer review.  If you would like to contribute your views
on what is missing or out of place, you can read her proposal in the
"discuss" message archive:  http://lists.tldp.org/.

> That is obviosuly a task fomr the Author Guide maitainers and/or someone
> with a solid understanding of docbook.

Okay, I think I covered that above.  The guide does tend to get added to
more often than having things removed from it.  The re-org proposed by
Emma Jane should help immensely.

> None of those five billion are likely to have any interest in a Linux
> Howto. It amuses me that you think it is necessary to publish in a format
> that they can use.

The LDP has received enough input/feedback/advice from readers to
validate the need to preserve all the formats provided.  Even O'Reilly
uses the "single-source" method to publish.  An author is never
obligated to learn the markup.  We are more than happy to help you with
that.  Since the work is volunteer-based, sometimes it does take time.
That is why we're always looking for more help.

I don't feel it necessary to quote the last line of your previous
message.  By joining the discussion list and bringing your concerns to
the table, we've all been here to try and help you.  Rather than getting
frustrated over the tools, let me or one of the other reviewers help you
mark up your document, if you like.

I certainly hope you don't give up on the LDP.  We really are trying to
help.  I'm sorry if that wasn't clear to you.

Thanks,
--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com