discuss: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc.

Subject: Re: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc.
From: Shuvam Misra ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jul 2003 04:50:38 -0000

Dear Simon,

> I've been working my way through the Author Guide and have become
> extremely frustrated.

Very similar to my experience.

> Everyone reads HOWTO's in html anyway, why jump through all of the
> unnecessary hoops? Having to go through all of this rubbish to translate a
> perfectly good document from HTML into some unnecessary alternative format
> for the one in a billion people that doesn't have a browser is a complete
> waste of time.

This paragraph is the only one I don't agree with.

As for the rest of your experience, I had a very similar experience.
Luckily, I had a colleague who I could ask to work on this setup task
full-time, and he set things up for me. (The HOWTO that I maintain is a
company-mandated task. Lucky for me.)

My attitude to all these problems has been slightly different. I've
looked at whatever I've got from TLDP by way of assistance as
"volunteer work." Everyone here does the best he can. So instead of
getting upset at the problems, I saw them as opportunities to improve
things. Once I get the time to write a better Author's Guide, I'll do
it. Till then, I think I should just work around the limitations. No
point getting upset about the work done by some bloody sincere and
helpful people; let's help them if we can.

Shuvam