discuss: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc.

Subject: Docbook, Xml, Jade etc.
From: Simon Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jul 2003 03:06:07 -0000

I've been working my way through the Author Guide and have become
extremely frustrated.

Why do I need to install all of the various elements of this undocumented
LDP cruft then learn how to use it in order to get a document published?

I've looked through the necessary packages, none of which
contains _any_ documentation on install or usage. docbook-dssl handily
mentions an install.html file but doesn't bother to provide it. Some of
the packages uncompress into the current directory and try to overwrite
files from other packages. Which versions should I use? This thing is an
complete mess!

The Author guide is not much better; "you need this this and this" but not
"this is how you install and configure the various pieces and start using
them.."

Everyone reads HOWTO's in html anyway, why jump through all of the
unnecessary hoops? Having to go through all of this rubbish to translate a
perfectly good document from HTML into some unnecessary alternative format
for the one in a billion people that doesn't have a browser is a complete
waste of time.

-Simon.