discuss: Linux dictionary

Subject: Re: Linux dictionary
From: Martin WHEELER ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 23:52:20 -0000

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Binh Nguyen wrote:

> Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> > I'm equally as impressed.  Wow, Binh, that must have been quite a job!
>
> cut and slash the thing so that it wouldn't be so big. Anyway, I can't wait
> until Martin gets the online database going (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink,
> wink :-)). How's it going  Martin? :P

Whoa, whoa, whoa there !

I'm only just getting used to seeing myself promoted as database
maintainer in a brand new publication!  (Where did that come from, so
suddenly?)

I would respectfully remind folks that:
 a) this is a 'spare' time activity for me;  and
 b) I have a wife and a _Real Life_ outside LDP !
 c) I've only been involved in this for 24 hours or so - haven't I?
    (It's beginning to feel like a lot more.)

Having said that -- the database has been online since last night
(Wed.); I first had to do a lot of hand massaging of the the data I
unpacked from the tarball you sent me Binh, to get it into the shape I
wanted to import it into MySQL.  (I only wanted terms and definitions.)

However, I've now split the term/definition data into thirty-odd tables
(the single data file was too big to import as one unit), following the
letter break-up and ASCII-alpha sort already adopted (i.e. Az.. precedes
aa..); but this is immaterial, as any type of sort can be made from the
database, once the data is in there.
(And I've now almost finished.  All 8900~ items.)

Each table has three fields -- glossterm; glossdef; attribution;
and the whole is editable online by approved dictionary editors at:

     http://startext.demon.co.uk/phpmyadmin/

which currently lives on my desk here at home.  Once we've got the setup
a little more polished, I'll move it all over to a faster machine
attached to a fatter pipe -- at the moment, we're just playing.  (And
it's only 24 hours old!)

Binh -- I've sent you a userID and password by separate e-mail -- could
you let me have a list of names and e-mail addresses of those you'ld
like to join you in co-editing, and then you can all start playing
whilst I get the XML/SGML generator and keyword-search pages written.
(Although if you know how to drive phpmyadmin, you can do any sort of
search you want -- as an editor.  You can even pull down the data to
your own site and post-process it there in any way you want, once you've
got access to the raw data.)  It's going to be a little while before we
can hitch it up to generating the markup for the LDP, so please don't
start hassling me for a complete publishing system *just* yet!

And anyway, I've still got a few tables to import.

Cheers,
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/