discuss: Gnu Auto tools mini-HOWTO ?

Subject: FW: Gnu Auto tools mini-HOWTO ?
From: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2003 15:16:26 -0000

Hi,

This is FYI. I have permission from Andy to send this to the list.

	Giridhar

Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Andy Oram wrote:
>> Congratuations on taking on such a large and difficult topic. I
>> suggest you write to Gary V. Vaughan ####@####.#### in England, if
>> you haven't gotten in touch with him already.  He works on these
>> tools, has written a commercially published book on them, and
>> started another project that was
>
> I know about the "The Goat Book" published by New Riders written by
> Gary V. Vaughan et. al. The intention of *this* HOWTO is to introduce
> these tools (for developers who want to get started) with a few
> details as to how it works (the non developers who just want to know
> how the whole system works). It is not a replacement of some sort for
> the goat book (which infact, is a *very* comprehensive one, full of
> nice examples and covers a lot more topics like writing portable
> C/C++ [apart from just the tools]). This would also serve the purpose
> of people like [1] Tille who need an intro just to "get over the
> fear" without really reading a book.
>
> [1]
> http://lists.tldp.org/index.cgi?1:mss:4762:200307:ceejnklaecengajdijnf
>
> Essentially ... cover something like this ...
>
>  - Introduction to Make, Automake, Autoconf and Libtool
>  - How these tools work (the m4 backend etc.)
>
> After reading this HOWTO, someone who would like to explore serious
> usage, should go to the book or the GNU manuals.
>
>> intended to document them. You may be able to help him or
>> get help from him.
>
> Definitely.
>
> 	Giridhar
>
> PS: Since there is a discussion on the ####@####.#### list, is it
> ok if I forward your mail there and to Hoebeke Mark who [2] proposed
> this idea on the list?
>
> [2]
> http://lists.tldp.org/index.cgi?1:mss:4757:200307:aeopnlleadhnjmolnjng

>> Andy Oram  O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.        email:
>> ####@####.#### Editor     90 Sherman Street
>>            voice: 617-499-7479 Cambridge, MA 02140-3233
>>            fax: 617-661-1116 USA
>> http://www.praxagora.com/andyo/ Stories at Web site: The Bug in the
>> Seven Modules     Code the Obscure     The Disconnected

Y Giridhar Appaji Nag        ####@####.####

Not throwing out the baby with the bath-water doesn't mean that
you cannot improve the system. I'm only arguing against stupid
people who think they need a revolution to improve - most real
improvements are evolutionary. - Linus Torvalds

an individual are not necessarily those of UbiNetics