discuss: Various lists used in DocBook

Subject: Various lists used in DocBook
From: Kian Spongsveen ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jul 2003 17:19:51 -0000

I am gradually picking up speed writing my HowTo. Now I have a list that I
need some suggestions on. I'm using DocBook XML. Hope that's not too
off-topic here, let me know where to post if I'm wrong.

Basically, I want to describe a set of known problems, their symptoms, the
cause behind and the workaround / kludge to avoid the problems. I want these
as a list where the actual problem is the most important part, but I also
want the other sections in a systematic order. It will be a list with short
paragraphs, but several such "problem" points.

I want it to look something like:

Problem: Product does not install
Symptom: Screen is blank
Cause: The power is off
Solution: Find the power switch, set it to ON position
Solution2: Plug the power cord into the wall outlet

The words Problem, Symptom and Cause will be emphasized bold and there will
only be one of each of these first 3 items.
Then there may be one Solution item, or several.

I tried to use the <itemizedlist>, but that creates bullet points and makes
each such section more or less become continuous with the next.

I tried to use <variablelist>, but I get some complaints from my editor (jEdit
with XML plug-in), and sometimes from xsltproc, when I use multiple
<listitem> and/or <term> tags within each <varlistentry> section.

So, which type of list that is supported by TLDP should I use for this?