discuss: Linux Dictionary Online Database Help

Subject: Re: Linux Dictionary Online Database Help
From: Greg Ferguson ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jul 2003 13:21:12 -0000

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:54:18 +1000 Binh Nguyen ####@####.#### wrote:

> Martin WHEELER wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Binh Nguyen wrote:

> > (Funnily enough, when I read your last mail on this subject, I thought
> > of putting a searchable version of the dictionary online using these
> > scripts; but in the end was too lazy to do anything about it :)
> > I could still do it if you'ld like me to, though.
> >
> > HTH,
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> That would be sweet indeed :) How much time does it take to get something
> like that up and running? My preference is that proposed definitions
> will go to a 'holding centre' and that two people to take a look at proposed
> definitions and then approve or reject.

That would be great, Martin. I published Binh's XML document, but I
fear it's not usable in the current mode. It's basically one
*huge* section containing an itemized list.

Binh, I was thinking that perhaps one way to make this easier to
use in a "book" form would be to take a hint from the traditional
dictionary layout and break it up by alphabetical sections. ideally,
a searchable version is the best implementation, imo...but we could
still attempt to publish this breaking on alpha sections. It's your
choice.

--
Greg