discuss: (Fwd) LCP - The Linux Classification Project

Subject: (Fwd) LCP - The Linux Classification Project
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Mar 2001 14:52:09 -0000

FYI...for those interested...

I've posted a sample of this work (classification scheme) on:

   http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/LCP/

It's quite large, and displays yet another way to classify/display
the LDP content (much like our "browse by category", but with links
to all forms of the documents, and not as verbose...)

r,
Ferg

--- Forwarded mail from ####@####.####

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:13:50 +0200
From: Photis Yannoulas ####@####.####
To: Greg Ferguson ####@####.#### Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Subject: LCP - The Linux Classification Project

Volos (middle mainland Greece), Monday 19 March 2001

Hi!

    As a Linux user, when I started migrating to Linux from Windows 95,
I asked myself how I would learn Linux; that means, what to ask for
(reference), and where to find it. So, I started what I termed (for lack
of a better term and due to my sense of humor) the LCP, the Linux
Classification Project.

    The whole idea is to make a tree structure and put everything on it,
where somebody can easily find HowTo's, links, book titles, FAQ's...
whatever. Also, an eye would catch easily the areas without any
reference at all (for instance, there is no HowTo on setting up an IRC
server), and make them the next "target" to be filled. (And avoid
spending mental energy on the overcrowded areas, such as
How-To-dial-up-to-the-Internet.)

    I started building my version of this tree about one year ago, when
I saw that LDP started a similar classification of the HowTo's around
June 2000. The LDP version is somewhat different from mine - not much,
about 10% (for example, LDP set a separate numbering for HowTo's on
network bridges) -, but it still was premature to tell you about my
work. So, after working independently and consulting (all this time)
some friends of mine who are expert Linux users and exhanging ideas with
them, here is my own version attached to this e-mail!
    I forgot to tell you that those friends of mine are founding members
of the Hellenic Linux Users Group (HELLUG - http://www.hellug.gr/), and
not later than within a couple of days starting today, they 'll upload
my LCP to the Hellug discussion list, to get ideas and feedback from any
user who 'd be eager to provide them. Together, we intend to set up an
information-packed site. (The url is : http://lcp.hellug.gr/ , but for
the moment there 's nothing more there than the message "shortly" in
Greek.) But, it would be a most nice idea if we followed an LDP-guided
approach!
    "- So, why don't you follow it now?", you might ask. It's only
because I think I made a somewhat better work than LDP's! ;-)

    My work per se :

    I wrote a couple of HTML pages, where I put all the sections,
categories, etc I thought of in a well-structured manner. The pages use
tables and are BIG, so don't worry if an older/slower computer takes
some seconds to interpret them. Your computer is not stuck, so don't try
to change consoles or press the reset button!
    I don't think these pages would be functional, so they 're intended
only for information/reference purposes. About 400 kBytes of table
uploaded on a site would be almost a disaster, but it's not a problem
when read from a local hard disk. (Of course, on our site the tables
will be broken into subpages; we also aspire to have a search engine,
PHP,... all the stuff that makes life easier! :-) )

    The whole scheme works like this :

-    We open in a browser the page for on-line work, then connect to the
Web, then use the page links to read/download the HowTo's.
-    For off-line work, we should first download the files that contain
all the HowTo's (tar-ed, zipped, etc) and open them into one and the
same directory. Then, we use our favorite browser to open the off-line
page and read the HowTo's.

    The pages are updated to 15 March 2001, and I trust I copied the LDP
lists/links/document titles exactly as they are (after deleting some
double entries). But this one is certain, you don't need worry about the
HowTo numbering; I didn't change the document titles, numbering only
appears on the links.

    If you wish to play with the pages HTML code, then you should see
the code as I wrote it, so you sould use :
-    Arachnophilia (http://www.arachnoid.com/ - if by any chance you
work in Windows environment), and set the tab spacing to 900 pts.
-    WebMaker (in Linux environment), where you don't need to set the
tab spacing at all. WebMaker can be found in the menus of SuSE (at least
version 7.0 professional), but you can always download it from - say -
Tucows. (WebMaker is the exact counterpart of Arachnophilia for Linux,
but it's a pity it still isn't a full version.)

    When searching the code, you might see the first column is never
used; I reserved it in order to denote how difficult is a HowTo : I 'd
put there one star for beginners, four stars for expert career
programmers. (Two stars intended for expert users and three for very
expert users/sysadmins.) But this grading scheme is another idea of
mine, to take place in the future.

    Aesthetically, the pages are quite passable on 1024x768 pixels, 15''
color monitor and Navigator. If you can't read the "ace"-big letters,
just enlarge them!

    That's all! Needless to say, I 'd be happy if LDP and every Linux
user adopted my humble work! :-)

    Enjoy!

    Photis

--