discuss: proposed outline: Author Guide

Subject: Re: proposed outline: Author Guide
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2003 05:48:37 -0000

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 22:15, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > I'm looking over the contents of the Author Guide. The first thing I'd
> > like to recommend is a shuffling of the contents to reflect the
> > process of writing a submission for TLDP (the second would be deciding
> > which spelling of "catalog"/"catalogue" you're going to use -- is
> > there a manual of style that you use for co-authored documents such as
> > this?  e.g. Chicago Manual of Style?).
>
> My very loose memory is that you just need to choose a consistent style
> -- the editors guide specifically requests that as long as the spelling
> is consistently British or American, that the editor not change it.

Agreed.  I think that went for Australian conventions as well.  Also,
when I work on documents written by authors whose second language is
English, I'll try and keep consistent with the style used, so long as it
is grammatically correct, and done throughout.

There was a list set up last year for collaboration on an LDP Style
Guide, but there hasn't been activity for some time.  Aside from the
variations on English style, I don't know if there were any other style
issues to address, so more discussion on that may be a good idea, and if
it fits, some information could be included in the Author Guide.

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com