discuss: Suggestion: study guides

Subject: Re: Suggestion: study guides
From: Peter Jay Salzman ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jul 2003 18:22:54 -0000

may not be the best idea for a few reasons:

On Thu 03 Jul 03, 11:02 AM, M. Leo Cooper ####@####.#### said:
> I have a somewhat interesting idea. How about LDP "study guides"?
>
> For example, consider a Sysadmin Study Guide, for someone wanting to learn
> Linux/Unix system administration. Such a guide would consist of a reading
> list of LDP documents, HOWTOs and Guides, on this topic. These would be
> listed in order from easiest (introductory level) to most difficult, with
> maybe a short summary of each document. Possibly even exercises or study
> assignment could be a part of this.
>

> There could also be study guides for Linux programming, networking,
> installation and setup, and other topics of interest.

here's the first and most compelling reason:

> Unfortunately, I can't volunteer my own time for such a project because of
> other commitments.

as is most of us!

second reason:

what a sysadmin knows is too subjective; too vague.  what you should
know depends on what you're trying to do and who you're working for.

if you want a document that outlines what EVERY sys admin needs to know
(say, what "chmod" does), there are tens of thousands of documents out
there.  both free and commercial.  i'm not sure that someone's time
investment is equal to the benefit that the world wil gain from the
labor.

a third reason might be: is this what tldp wants to do?  are we in the
business of providing documentation or providing an education?  i think
providing documentation is a big enough endeavor for a bunch of unpaid
volunteers.  now if you wanted to start a commercial service that would
benefit the linux documentation project.

my own personal thought is that gaining the experience to learn what you
ought to know is a crucial step in becoming a _good_ administrator.  i
don't think a good admin is someone who learns everything that a piece
of paper tells him (or her) to learn.  i think "learning by stumbling"
is most valuable.

besides, the single most valuable skill an admin can have is to learn
how to get answers.  not necessarily to know the answers.

my two cents.  everything i said here could very well be crap.   ;-)

pete