discuss: re:Online editing (was: One-page replacement for LDP-Author-Guide)

Subject: Re: re:Online editing (was: One-page replacement for LDP-Author-Guide)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jun 2003 04:02:18 -0000

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:29:01PM -0700, Tabatha Persad wrote:
> The advantages of the online environment are that the document creation,
> reviewing and processing can be all linked together.  I think some
> tie-in between these would be nice.

I don't think an online environment is all that desirable.  We need
authors that know about Linux and have it installed on a PC.  If one can
just write things online, then someone who is using a PC in a public
library, who knows little about Linux, can attempt to author a doc.
This is a downside to on-line editing.

Another problem is that no one should be expected to learn a new
editor/word processor for on-line editing.  So if we provide on-line
editing, we should have a very wide selection of editors/word processors
and they all should be free.  This is, at the present time, too
difficult of a task for what I think would be of little benefit.

As far as processing goes, in Linuxdoc it's as simple as typing:
sgml2html my-HOWTO.sgml.  You don't have to configure anything.  (Sorry
but I'm months behind on answering my email.)