discuss: Some of the main problems of the libre documentation

Subject: Re: Some of the main problems of the libre documentation
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jun 2003 22:33:24 -0000

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 02:05:07PM -0700, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> There's a lot of review work available, and a variety of ways to
> accomplish the many tasks.

Anything that's XHTML, CSS or JavaScript related I should be able to do
(English) language and technical reviews for. I realize there's only a few
HOWTOs on this, but it is something I can do a tech review for.

I also have an ht://dig HOWTO for multilingual site searching, but they're
about to release a new version of the software (currently beta), which
I think negates the need for much of what I wrote. It could also be broken
down into a few different articles: configuring ht://dig; installing locales;
configuring ht://dig as a multilingual search engine.

There are probably a few other HOWTOs that I could go through and add some
enhancements to. e.g. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition/ I wrote a much
shorter version of this which is available here:
http://xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/partition.phtml

In terms of recruiting volunteers...to be honest: I'd put a form up on the
web site which says something to the effect of:

	Yes, I'm a competent human being and I am willing to be contacted to:
	[ ] help review documents for technical accuracy
	[ ] help review documents for language
		I am comfortable reading/writing the following languages: [______________]
	[ ] provide HOWTO documents/emails I have written to the LDP project****
	[ ] review old documents
(etc)

**** this is the biggest thing that I think the LDP currently lacks on its
web site. I would not have thought to submit my ACPI HOWTO for review if
I'd not been specifically asked by Werner Heuser (of tuxmobil). I honestly
had no idea that the document I'd written was something that someone else
would want to read. My guess is that people who have written up HOWTOs
(to post on their own site) are more likely to contribute to the LDP
someone who has never before written documentation for fun. ;)

The current destination for "contribute/help" is very overwhelming to
someone that doesn't know DocBook. I recommend moving the "resources"
section to its own page.

Another suggestion would be to make this page:
	http://tldp.org/authors/inprogress.html
reverse chronological. To me it looks out of date to see so many "2001"s
at the top.

Just some ideas,
emma

--