discuss: Some of the main problems of the libre documentation

Subject: Re: Some of the main problems of the libre documentation
From: Mary Gardiner ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jun 2003 02:12:12 -0000

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:30:52AM +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> > Is it worth actively approaching experts on the subject (such as the
> > authors or maintainers of the project)? Is this something that has
> > been attempted before, and failed?
>
> Unfortunately, there are cases of people who author or maintain a LDP
> document that don't know the subject in much depth.  In some cases
> they learn more about it as they write and revise it, but in other
> cases they shouldn't have volunteered in the first place.

I was talking about contacting the authors or maintainers of the project
itself (say, contacting the Squid development team re a HOWTO on Squid
proxies) rather than the authors or maintainers of existing
documentation. I'm not sure from the quoted paragraph of yours whether
that was clear or not.

Of course I appreciate that development teams are generally overworked
(especially in large projects) and/or have their writing/reviewing time
spoken for by their own documentation projects but in at least some
cases I imagine a developer has time to review a document for technical
accuracy.

-Mary