discuss: Some of the main problems of the libre documentation

Subject: Re: Some of the main problems of the libre documentation
From: Mary Gardiner ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jun 2003 00:31:02 -0000

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003, David Lawyer wrote:
> Having a "publishing cycle" that includes a good technical review is
> fine, provided you can find someone to do this technical review.  So
> it's a problem of recruiting people that know their subject and are
> able to write clearly about it, including writing a review.  So the
> person doing the review ideally should also be capable of writing the
> document that is under review.
>
> Feedback from readers is important, but you will not get it if there
> is too much wrong with a document.  A reader that finds too many
> mistakes in a document is unlikely to bother to give any feedback on
> it to the author.  This is also true if the document is out-of-date.
> That's why new documents need an initial technical review.

Is it worth actively approaching experts on the subject (such as the
authors or maintainers of the project)? Is this something that has been
attempted before, and failed?

If not, I would be willing to coordinate an effort to actively recruit
technical reviewers from the projects themselves. Obviously, since they
would need to volunteer their time, it is entirely possible that many
will refuse to review documents, but I think it is worth looking outside
people who actively volunteer to the LDP for technical reviewers.

-Mary