discuss: Re: Online editing

Subject: Re: Online editing
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jun 2003 20:15:59 -0000

jdd wrote:

> Stein Gjoen wrote:
>
>> Strange. Try on my home page, should be at
>>     http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/The_LDP_HOWTO_Generator.html
>>
> nice try.

Thanks.

> however I couldn't compile (mozilla 1.4, linux)

It is just a prototype with emphasis on prototyping the user
interface. Thus there is no working javascript yet.

> I think also there should be a subtitle generator, the one given from
> parts 3 or 4 are not always relevants.

The whole structure is straight out of the Big HOWTO Template
so yes, means of changing chapter titles should be added.

> but this is a good thing.

Thanks.

> may be such form could be use to submitt the first draft of a new HOWTO.

The idea was twofold:
  1: a simple interface to get something started on-line with TLDP
  2: a simple off-line tool to get a HOWTO started. Once compiled
    the structure of the markup should be sufficiently self evident
    for the new author to continue with a plain ascii editor.

> you know: most new authors use to write to the list to ask if creating
> this HOWTO is a good thing, filling the form could give very fast an
> idea of the author's will.

Moreover such a form helps in structuring the thoughts and forms
a checklist of what is useful to include.

If we get an on-line too going I feel we should keep both user
interfaces as similar as possible, preferrably identical.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen