discuss: overwhelmed by the LDP author guide

Subject: Re: overwhelmed by the LDP author guide
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jun 2003 03:37:52 -0000

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 06:00:13PM -0700, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> learn is when you have something you specifically need to do.  If you
> haven't already heard, there's a docbook mailing list at the LDP for
> those *burning* questions too!

Yup, I've already fired a few questions their way as well.

> After reviewing documents for basic grammar and spelling, I also like to
> look for words that can benefit from the use of tags.  Most people
> few.

Fortunately I know XHTML fairly well and have already been using
variations on these. DocBook is quite nice though as it has the full
vocabulary for describing things. Now I can actually differentiate between
a file name and a program output.

> Question...have you tried XEmacs instead?  And do you have the PSGML
> plugin for it?  You'll know if you do because loading any file with an
> xml or sgml extension will provide you with additional menus to work
> from, all easily drop down.

I'm pretty sure I have the sgml plug-in. I've never been very good at
pointy-clicky markup though. I used DreamWeaver once because I wanted to
try out its site management tools. Other than that life has been done with
variations on a text editor with syntax highlighting. Plus I'm pretty set
on the Vim shortcuts. I just make a mess of things in Emacs when I try to
control-[ Shift-A to get to the end of a line to insert text.

> Emacs/XEmacs, with the PSGML has a "Move to next trouble spot" menu item
> that does pretty much the same thing to the entire doc.

I may give this a shot when I've done as much converting as I can.

> possible.  No need to do it to death, but it can down the road make
> things like indexing *much* easier!

No kidding. I really do like the breadth in the vocabulary.

> As to the side bar, there are ways of setting off text in DocBook as
> well.  Of course though, you are referring to the actual words "side
> bar."  Just thought I'd remind you of "Notes", "Warnings", and other
> admonitions that you can use in much the same way, if you haven't
> already run across them.  They come with graphics too - and that is
> always nice on the eyes.

Plus I can always include a reference to text that's written elsewhere as
a note on a given page, I can't remember who told me things. I think it
was over on the DocBook list.

> I'm always here, just give me a holler if you have a question!

thanks :)

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]