discuss: Docbook XML and ENTITIES

Subject: Re: Docbook XML and ENTITIES
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jun 2003 02:31:47 -0000

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 08:45:25PM -0500, Martin A. Brown wrote:

> Yes, you have a need for a different type of solution.  You do not
> need or want parameter entities and the INCLUDE/IGNORE DTD
> directives.  Rather, you could consider using profiling [1].
>
> I have seen profiling used (see netWindows documentation, the
> chapter on signals and slots) to select an output language, Spanish
> or English [2] based on command line parameters to the XSLT
> processor.
>
> And that's what I didn't quite get from your previous post, hence my

Sorry, my fault, for not knowing the terminology better ...

> suggestion about using parameter entities to solve your problem, but
> parameter entities in XML are better for handling DTD magic.  This
> was not the solution for you!

> Here's an alternative, using profiling.
>
> Use the following markup inline in your text.
>
>   <para condition="draft">
>     This is only draft text, and will only appear when the "draft" profile is
>     selected.
>   </para>

[...]

Yes! This looks like it. Sadly, my test here fails but for a missing
file (Red Hat 8). This indeed looks workable. (For the record,
profile-chunk.xsl exists and includes profile-mode.xsl but is not on
my system, and fails with that error).

> This may not be as easy for you as continued use of the less
> stringent SGML parameter entities you have grown accustomed to. I
> know very little about DocBook SGML, so I'll have to leave that for
> another more knowledgeable soul.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> -Martin
>
>  [1] http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SpecialHandling.html#Profiling