discuss: Progress on the Anti-Spam HOWTO

Subject: Re: Progress on the Anti-Spam HOWTO
From: chris albert ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jun 2003 17:46:10 -0000

jdd wrote:

 > I don't know if it is relevant, but I plan (a very long time prepared
plan) to summarize some infos about blacklists and the ISP possible
action in this respect.

DNSBLs and RBLs are a sensitive topic with a long and complicated
history involving claims of censorship, and even law suits , at least in
the USA.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had planned to look at
technological solutions to stopping spam, and these kinds of DBs are one
part of that.
I had planned to discuss incorporating DNSBLs, and RBLs at the MTA
level, including issues of reliability, problems related to blocking
them at the MTA (for some of these DBs it can take some time to get off,
once you are on, and somebody misconfiguring sendmail on your subnet can
get you put in an oepn relay DNSBL...), which lists allow dns zone
transfers to reduce netwrok traffic on large sites.
My conclusion from my research is that these can be useful, but are
better integrated as wights into a filtering system, or a bayesian
model, since the false positive rate can be dangerously high using such
techniques.

 > I will probably began working this in less than two weeks.
 >
 > are you interested?

Let's keep incontact offline, and we can discuss this.

 > (a search on google "blacklist nerim" gives access - at least with fr
- to the archives of the debate)

I'll check the thread, fortunately I can read french.

Chris