discuss: Progress on the Anti-Spam HOWTO

Subject: Re: Progress on the Anti-Spam HOWTO
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2003 15:23:03 -0000

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 10:46:32AM -0400, chris albert wrote:

> What is the best way to do this? Should we get a cvs account right
> away at tldp?

CVS would be good for a group effort like this. AFAIK, what we need is
a) a fixed doc title for cvs purposes and then b) each author needs an
ldp/cvs account to access cvs (I have one now).

So I think the first order of business:

 - Decide on Doc title
 - Decide doc format (sgml, xml, etc)
 - Decide doc scope (eg usenet spam, etc....)
 - See who has what areas of interest and divide responsibility among
   authors
 - Make sure we are listed as a "work in progress" with tldp (?).
 - Do an outline
 - Write ;-)

> I was just going to use the one of the big howto templates
> http://tldp.org/authors/template-ld/big-howto-template-ld.html
> follow the authoring guide
> http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/index.html
> using style suggestions from the gnome guide
> http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/ .

Just a personal note ... but I have worked very little with xml, and
would like to learn that, and maybe this is a good oppurtunity!

> Locally I'll import and export the sgml files from LyX so I wont need to
> worry to much about sgml syntax.
> Since I am in Quebec, I will also be able to get the doc translated into
> French.
> Since I am on dozens of anti-spam mailing lists, I thought once the doc
> had some meat on it I would try and get
> some help on specific technologies, since there really is too much going
> on right now for one person to master.

Can you suggest a few lists that aren't real high volume?

> >I am doing
> >postfix+procmail+bogofilter with the goal of getting at least one week
> >in my life with no spam.
> >

> It can be done! Certainly at the local level, but it is harder site
> wide because of false positives, and varying ham/spam profiles among
> a large user base.

Yes, of course. The best spam blocking is always the narrowest scope.
One of my best rules is if html, probably is spam. That wouldn't work
for most, I would guess though.

> Have you thought of combining bogofilter with spamassassin?

No, not really, but I should look into it. Right now I am spam free
for about 3 days though :)))))))))))))))

--
Hal Burgiss