discuss: Author Guide - Writing a New HOWTO in DocBook

Subject: RE: Author Guide - Writing a New HOWTO in DocBook
From: "Patrick K. O'Brien" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Mar 2001 16:12:14 -0000

1. I'd love to have a sample XML file to play with, so do please send one my
way. Thanks.

2. Page 20 of DB:TDG is correct. The XML requirement to have a system
identifier is also stated even more directly on page 576, or online at
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/html/appb.html#AEN193627 as section B.1.1. System
Identifiers. Unfortunately, they don't give many examples outside of
pointing to a website as the system id. If you are working on a plane, you
definitely want the system id to be something specific to you machine, like
"dtd/docbook-xml/4.1.2/docbook.dtd". Then any parser should look for the dtd
on your machine, rather than on the Internet.

I just wish I knew what the most flexible approach was for specifying a
system id. It seems odd to me that we should have to be modifying the
prologue to a DocBook instance just to open it up in a browser or editor
that does validation, like Emacs/PSGML. I don't understand the XML
requirement to have a hard-coded inflexible system id, or why it doesn't
have something more list a search list. The DB:TDG says much the same thing
concerning catalog files, but still leaves me less that satisfied that I
know what to do:

"If you're used to using catalog files to resolve system identifiers, you
may be dismayed to learn that system identifiers are required. Because most
tools favor system identifiers over public identifiers, all of the
portability that was gained by the use of catalog files seems to have been
lost. In the long run, it'll be regained by the fact that XML system
identifiers can be URNs, which will have a resolution scheme like catalogs,
but what about the short run?"

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech (http://www.orbtech.com)