discuss: Correctly referencing another author(s) in a document

Subject: Re: Correctly referencing another author(s) in a document
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 17 May 2003 04:18:35 -0000

   "Generally, you should clearly indicate in the body as well that the
idea/description that you are using is not your original work. In academic
writing this is done with a footnote eg "Several types of GNU
spider plants grow bright foliage in winter[1]" where [1] is a footnote
citing the work, or with a short citation along the lines of "Stallman
(1997) observed that several types of GNU spider plants grow bright
foliage in winter" or "Several types of GNU spider plants grow bright
foliage in winter (Stallman, 1997)"."

But with UNIX tools this is quite hard, because I would have used
information from various sources without even remembering where I learned
this information (but I don't think thats illegal because I would have
formed my own ideas from what I learned and it may not look anything like
the source).
For most of the tools I have probably used very small amounts from the
manual page, does this matter? Because I don't think you can copyright every
single word in a document.....

"In academic writing (as opposed to here, perhaps?) not having citations in
the document body where you use someone else's, even if they are in the
references list, is grounds for getting in a fair bit of trouble."
Its more than a bit of trouble, all work at Uni. is sent via plagarism
detectors, the penalities range from failing the unit to explulsion from the
Uni.
Also I *may* be using this document as the basis of an academic document so
I intend to make sure I am not performing any form of plagurism (well some
people think it may be possible to use it as a research paper, but I'm not
sure yet...).

  "Most tools have some way to generate and insert the references
automatically as long as you have a marker of some kind there, but I don't
know how to do referencing of that type in Docbook."
Does anyone know the way to do this is DocBook SGML? (because the tool I'm
using can do this....but I had to manually do the references so I can't
reference to those sections because LyX doesn't understand them...).

  "I'm not sure of the particular format the TLDP uses, but I'm sure someone
more informed will respond as to how many authors to list in the
bibliography."
Anyone know? Please respond...

  "You should read the GFDL as to how much of the work you can quote and how
you need to deal with the fact that they still own the copyright. I suspect
that if you want to briefly quote from or cite any document at all,
regardless of the licencing, you should clearly indicate that it is a quote
(using block indentation or quote marks) or if you paraphrase, cite it in
some way as above, for exactly the same reasons as you cite non-free work."
I don't know if I'll be able to understand the GFDL (I understand its
purpose but not the smaller details), does anyone happen to know this?

I will have to go through my document and add various citations for blocks
of text which I have used from various sources but if I reference every
little section when I've used information from other sources then half of my
entire document will be citations and quotes.

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. 30MB of storage on ninemsn Groups -
great for sharing photos and documents. Go to
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au