discuss: Correctly referencing another author(s) in a document

Subject: Correctly referencing another author(s) in a document
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2003 03:40:30 -0000

I think I asked this question is the past but I'm not sure of the answer.

What is the correct way to reference an author when I have used portions of
there work in my document?
The document is the GNU/Linux Tools Summary HOWTO hosted at:
www.karakas-online.de/LinuxCommands/t1.html

Because in some areas I have used material that was copyrighted under a
non-free license and have paraphrased and edited it, that is legal isn't it?
(the author is referenced in the references section).

But there is some material which is under a free-license (GFDL) which I
would like to use, do I need to paraphrase it? how do I correctly reference
that this there work?  (ie. do I need to quote an entire block and then have
a thing saying this is from reference no 4. or something?), they will of
course be added to the references...(do I need to mention every author of
that document? (because there a list of 20....)

Also I've used material from various manual and info pages and some of it
may not have been paraphrased (its only small sections if I have done this,
eg. usually less than a paragraph or just 1 sentence.
The thing is I've only generally referenced all manual and info pages, not
each individual author of the particular man or info page, is that legal?

Any advice is appreciated.
Gareth

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. No account expiration - no need to
worry about losing your Hotmail account. Go to
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au