discuss: LDP authoring stuff and membership

Subject: Re: LDP authoring stuff and membership
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2003 00:11:22 -0000

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 16:50, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > 	An online form where we can work on documents is
> > really a nice idea but I am not sure many people would
> > use it. Unless I have an 24 hrs connection I wouldnt
> > consider it for all my work
>
> Why?
>
> What's wrong with working offline and cutting&pasting into the form when
> done?

That's what I thought too.  With some sort of side menu for finding
formatting tags.  What would be really cool would be where the system
was able to do like a PSGML thing and list tags available based on what
tag you are currently working from, but the processing would probably be
too much online.  But basically something where you could even stop
working and resume later, set up like a project, with different pieces
and tasks that can be done on it.  I know, I probably live in a
dream-world...

> When the LDP had a wikitext I used to post a 120k fully marked-up
> document from xemacs into the wikitext engine in one go -- no problem.

Someone is currently developing an online Docbook editing tool;
eventually it will be made intuitive enough to manage documents as
projects, and would provide tools for readers to submit feedback,
authors to work, and reviewers/staff to perform administrative tasks.

I'm offering the development of this to be housed eventually on the
Projects page of my own web site, but I'll likely need to have my site
converted over to PHP fully before it does (so far only the guestbook is
PHP, the rest of my site is templated shtml with includes for dummies
like me!).

In case anyone's interested, this particular online editing tool is
being developed by members of the PHP HOWTO Team as an example of what
can be done with PHP for their document.  So it looks promising!

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com