discuss: LDP authoring stuff and membership

Subject: LDP authoring stuff and membership
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 2003 14:57:20 -0000

Hi

	An online form where we can work on documents is
really a nice idea but I am not sure many people would
use it. Unless I have an 24 hrs connection I wouldn’t
consider it for all my work but I don’t stick in a
single place always and such stuff would certainly
help me work on documents regardless of the platform
and tool available in the system. What features should
it provide?

A form where I can type docbook or linuxdoc content
and ability to parse and view the document I just
typed in html.

Ability to add tags with treeview or some other
friendly interface.

Ability to import the basic template or other
documents for editing

The ability to save back into the system should be
done only by the authors/maintainers. This would
require an LDP membership. I have explained this in
detail below.

Completion of tags and syntax highlighting – we can
use php or javascript and release the whole code under
GPL with documentation for the whole system and
process, In case others want to replicate this for say
KDE or GNOME.

Options for converting it into pdf format immediately
– for having personal copies

Tutorial for new users.?

	We have a lot of tools and resources for new authors
but I can be difficult for users to understand the why
and hows of this system. The LDP’s author’s guide is
very comprehensive but not everybody would go through
that  A more user friendly page which is simple but
would give quick details is useful. My LDP FAQ was
such an attempt but I feel that I haven’t achieved the
goal completely. When I wrote a new HOWTO I didn’t
notice that a resources section had a template which
would be a good start. I think a more visible and
quick section along with a detailed tutorial would a
good thing to have.

LDP membership

	This is something I wanted to suggest even before. I
think some kind of authentication system is necessary.
Everybody who is contributing to LDP can be given an
user id and password along with relevant information.
The online form would use this information for
allowing the user to do online editing. others would
be allowed to add their own comments in the document
itself instead of mailing the author. The author can
be required to merge the comments or something like
that periodically(like wikiweb). LDP members should be
allowed to maintain some information about themselves.
Say I have a page www.tldp.org/rahul where I post my
own information. Why ?
Give people credit for their work and recognise what
they have done.  This would encourage more people to
participate. This is a simple thing to do but would
work very effectively.

	The ability to add comments online by users is a
important thing. Not everybody would take time to mail
the author. Far more users would be inclined to post a
quick comment. If such a system cannot be setup
immediately a form where people can mail the author
without having a public email address would be a quick
temporary solution.

Regards
rahul sundaram

       visit http://in.tv.yahoo.com