discuss: Re: Booting from IDE RAID Controller Cards

Subject: Re: Idea: Booting from IDE RAID Controller Cards
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 7 May 2003 22:37:58 -0000

Hello,

Jim Hamilton wrote:

> I have an idea for a new HOWTO or mini-HOWTO.
[snip]

> I found that documentation for these different steps was scattered and
> patchy. I found no step-by-step reference that would explain to a
> newcomer to IDE RAID what needed to be done, and why, and how to go
> about it.
>
> I have written some documentation on this problem and its solution for
> the office, to help the other IT staff. It would not take much work to
> turn this documentation into a HOWTO or mini-HOWTO. The documentation
> includes a brief preamble on IDE RAID basics and is about 25 pages long.

This is exactly the same scenario I faced that prompted me to
write my HOWTO back in 1996.

[snip]

> The ATA RAID HOWTO covers booting from a Promise FastTrak controller on
> officially supported versions of Red Hat only. The procedure relies on
> having drivers compiled by the vendor for a specific version of Red Hat
> only. It is not applicable to other distributions. For these reasons I
> don't think that my work would overlap the ATA RAID HOWTO at all.

There is a number of HOWTOs that deal with RAID in general and
specific terms; you might wish to look them over to save yourself
from duplicating background information.

Being the author of the Multi Disk HOWTO, that also touches on RAID,
I am of course interested in all comments you might have on it.

> Here's what I'd like to do:
>
> I'd like to contribute a HOWTO or mini-HOWTO on this topic. I'd need
> some feedback as to which it should be (or if I should do it at all).
> Perhaps a mini as the focus is so narrow? Or is 25 pages of text too
> heavy for a mini? :)

We are trying to avoid making the distinction between mini-HOWTOs and
HOWTOs. Also 25 pages is well into the full scale HOWTO size.

> I'd also need some guidance with DocBook/XML as I've never used it
> before; the document's current format is Corel WordPerfect. I'm happy to
> learn something new.

Have a look at the templates in the author resource section of the
TLDP web site. As for tools I can only help you with LinuxDoc which
is the older, simpler format still in use here along with DocBook.

> Comments?

I definitely believe there is a need for this information. You might
also consider the possibility of having your work included with the
ATA RAID HOWTO as the name would suggest it deals with ATA RAID in a
comprehensive manner.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen