discuss: Re: Online editing (was: One-page replacement for LDP-Author-Guide)

Subject: Re: Online editing (was: One-page replacement for LDP-Author-Guide)
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 7 May 2003 22:37:49 -0000

####@####.#### wrote:

> yea i am not sure how a form based editor will work out.
>
> i think tree based editor might work. Where the whole XML is represented as
> a huge tree, and each element will be a node in the tree.

To get new authors in we might want to keep it even simpler than that.

> Again, for it to be NOT clunky, would require it to be a Active X Control,
> or Java Applet.

Any firewall other than toys would instantly zap all incoming
ActiveX controls out of principle. Speaking of principle you
also have the proprietaryness of ActiveX.

A Java Applet is also likely to be caught in a firewall, almost
certainly if it attempts to call home which an online editing
tool is likely to use. Using http methid might be permitted.

> Or maybe a XForm running in Macromedia Flash Player ;)

That would certainly max out my proprietary-o-meter and blow
a lot of fuses.

I think a simple Javascript based set of forms and submit button
is perhaps the simplest, safest solution that would be available
for the largest group of people.

So here at the LDP Advanced Research Laboratories we have cooked
up such a demonstration page, attached for your comments or
amusement, depending on your taste.

For safety it is non operational. Well, actually I haven't yet
had the time to get teh scripting working yet.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen