discuss: Re: revival of the weekly news - RSS feed and XSLT

Subject: Re: revival of the weekly news - RSS feed and XSLT
From: ####@####.####
Date: 7 May 2003 21:37:33 -0000

Hello Machtelt,

The whole idea behind RSS feed is that the users always get the latest
news.

Usually RSS feeds are consumed by portal containers. When somebody accesses
that container, the RSS feed from the master site is retrieved.

For e.g.
http://www.seagate.cc:8080/cocoon/mount/rssfeed/http://www.xmlhack.com/rss.php

here the cocoon portal consumes the RSS from xmlhack, as soon as the
readers clicks on the above link.

However some portal servers, allow RSS feed to be cached, so it does not
change, the RSS feed is not retrieved from the master server.
There are other portal server that retrieved an RSS feed on
hourly/daily/weekly.... basis.

The bandwidth is no a big issue, since RSS feeds are very small in size.

If you want we can start the testing on my server, since I have lots of
free bandwidth available.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://www.seagate.com/cheetah/

|         |           Machtelt Garrels |
|         |           No Phone Info    |
|         |           Available        |
|         |           05/05/2003 09:17 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  Re: revival of the weekly news - RSS feed and XSLT                                                                          |

http://lists.tldp.org/