discuss: One-page replacement for LDP-Author-Guide (not exactly, but ...)

Subject: Re: One-page replacement for LDP-Author-Guide (not exactly, but ...)
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 2 May 2003 19:13:25 -0000

Hi Saqib,

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 11:56, ####@####.#### wrote:
> I m sorry, I am making too many posts to this thread. It is just that I am
> working on a similar solution @ work.
>
> I personally think it does NOT have to be a "web-browser" based online
> editor.

My idea behind this was to have a tool unique to the LDP, one that new
authors in particular might use.  I am experienced enough to be
satisfied with my XEmacs and PSGML plugin, but not everyone can work
that way.  Some people don't have processing tools, or in some cases,
just have no idea how to put it all together.

> The writer should have freedom to use the editor of their choice, but be
> able to easily save their directly to the TLDP server using WebDAV
> protocol. There are XML editors (opensource and comercial) that support
> WebDAV (opensource and comercial)

I absolutely agree that you should use the editor of your choice.
Having another one available online at the LDP gives everyone just one
more option, and if it's tweaked for use at the LDP, this could be a
great solution for new authors.

> For the presentation of the documents we could use Cocoon on the TLDP
> server. So that as soon the writer saves his document (using WebDAV
> protocol), he should be able to immediately look at the rendered document
> on the Development TLDP website.

It's more the creation and upkeep of the documentation that I'm
interested in.  I want to provide an online alternative for those who
wish to write a document, with a simple interface that does the bulk of
the work, making the rest of the work much easier.  Working from a
system where you can first create your chapters/sections shows authors
how to write from a very basic outline.  I also want to be able to see
statistics and review information.

Mostly I hope to eventually see a system that is in harmony with the way
the LDP does things.

I want a lot, huh?  :D

--
Tabatha Persad