discuss: re:AW: One-page replacement for LDP-Author-Guide (not exactly, but ...)

Subject: re:AW: One-page replacement for LDP-Author-Guide (not exactly, but ...)
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 2 May 2003 00:13:05 -0000

LyX is sort of good for this...its WYSIWYM (what-you-see-is-what-you-mean)
and fairly close to WYSIWYG (depending on the stylesheets....).
The only problem is the conversion, LyX > XML (there is a project trying to
do this but its in its early stages).
LyX > SGML (Chris's scripts do this, but they will not be released for a
while) and LyX's built in SGML conversion doesn't appear to work
properly....
Or they could do LyX > LaTeX and find something to convert the LaTeX to
Docbook XML...(or SGML)....
The only downside is that LyX requires learning (you have to get used to the
LaTeX philosophy (no whitespace)...)

####@####.####
>                       Available                Subject:  re:AW: One-page
>replacement for LDP-Author-Guide (not exactly, but ...)
>
>                       05/01/2003 02:01
>                       PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       gferg
>

>On Thu, 1 May 2003 22:45:21 +0200 Torsten Schlabach ####@####.####
>wrote:
> >
> > I think what will keep even more people from writing anything is the
> > lack of a free, simple to use WYSIWYG DocBook editor. Or did I miss
> > anyhting any anyone can recommend one. If so, why not put it in the
> > guide.
>
>Well...this might be obvious, but...
>
>   http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=+WYSIWYG+xml+editor
>
>   Note: not all listed are free!!! (such as XMetaL -
>http://www.corel.com/)
>
>There are some editing tools listed in the Guide (again, not all free):
>
>   http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/editing.html
>
>WYSIWYG is somewhat difficult to accomplish as the presentation is
>controlled via stylesheets, seperated from the document (structural)
>content. You could give to me a document you edited in a "WYSIWYG"
>environment and I could display to you something vastly different
>(presentation-wise) using a different XSL (or DSSSL) stylesheet.
>But I do understand your concern and the point you are making.
>
>I'm excited about the possibilities with OpenOffice. I've been working
>a lot with it lately, helping to prepare it for IRIX (SGI platform).
>
>--
>Greg

>http://lists.tldp.org/

>http://lists.tldp.org/

MSN Instant Messenger now available on Australian mobile phones.�Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_messenger.asp