discuss: Re: revival of the weekly news - RSS feed and XSLT

Subject: Re: revival of the weekly news - RSS feed and XSLT
From: ####@####.####
Date: 29 Apr 2003 14:40:21 -0000

There are several ways to do this. One way (which I prefer) is to use
Apache Cocoon.

Here is how it will work. We will have an XSLT which will translate the
"Weekly News" XML to an RSS feed
(http://backend.userland.com/rss#whatIsRss).

Then Cocoon will use this XSLT to translate the "Weekly News" XSL to RSS.

Here is e.g. of Cocoon generating HTML (on the fly) from Docbook XML :
http://www.seagate.cc:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/linux-faq.html
http://www.seagate.cc:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/linux-faq.pdf
http://www.seagate.cc:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/openjade.html
 This uses Norman Walsh XSLT.

This is different from creating an RSS feed from DocBook XML, but the idea
is same.

Here is another e.g (converting RSS XML to HTML).
http://www.seagate.cc:8080/cocoon/mount/rssfeed/http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/home.rss
http://www.seagate.cc:8080/cocoon/mount/rssfeed/http://www.xmlhack.com/rss.php

In our case we will be converting DocBook XML to RSS.

our URL for RSS feed could look like:
http://www.seagate.cc:8080/cocoon/mount/generaterss/http://www.tldp.org/ldpwn/latest.xml

Let me know if I can clarify further. English is not my native language, so
I have trouble explaining things. :)

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://www.seagate.com/cheetah/

|         |           Machtelt Garrels |
|         |           No Phone Info    |
|         |           Available        |
|         |           04/29/2003 07:22 |
  |       Subject:  Re: revival of the weekly news - RSS feed and XSLT                                                                          |