discuss: Follow up on request to adopt Threads FAQ

Subject: Re: Follow up on request to adopt Threads FAQ
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 25 Apr 2003 06:44:13 -0000

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:49:48AM -0400, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 18:54:25 -0400 Morgon Kanter ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > Seems like the current maintainer's email is undeliverable (as in, it
> > doesn't even exist anymore). I'll take this document over, if no one
> > has any objections.
>
> Generally, if a document is on the unmaintained list, it's there
> because the author specifically has said that he/she no longer
> wishes to maintain the document, or the author cannot be contacted.
> If you have made a good faith effort to contact the author,
> I believe you can take over this particular document. Perhaps David
> Lawyer can comment on this (from a licesning perspective).

Well, it seems that the FAQ has no license.  So by default it's
copyrighted.  But since the author submitted it to LDP to give away,
anyone can get a copy and the author has implicitly given LDP the right
to distribute it.  But there's no license to modify it and LDP permits
disallowing of modification.  It would be best to try to find the
author.  I just emailed him at linuxsocket.org but this may be dead.

			David Lawyer