discuss: Re: LDPWN (weekly news)

Subject: RE: LDPWN (weekly news)
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 16 Apr 2003 06:58:38 -0000

Hello everybody,

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:

> to work together. We did not hear from Torsten Schlabach yet, but
> I guess that is a timezone problem. I am in GMT +5:30

Maybe Torsten is just on an Easter holiday..?  Mine has been canceled,
because of a broken down laptop (shit happens), so we might as well get on
with it.

I'd start making a page where it says what you can expect on the weekly
news site.  This stuff, as Giridhar points out, should certainly be in it:

>  - Announcements regarding newly released documents (with the
>    summary) - easy info from announce list
>  - Requests for comments on new documents and proposals for new
>    documents - Most of these are posted to the discuss list but
>    is anyone of you also on the editors list? is that active?

This can make up the so-called "fixed" section, it should be easy to get a
new item in every week.

>  - Summary of important discussion items from the discuss list
>    (With the URL to the archive thread etc.) This is very useful
>    for people who want to be involved in the LDP discussions but
>    can't keep up with the list.
>  - Summary of important discussion items from other LDP lists

I'd suggest to put this in as it comes, because it might not be such a
regular item.

>  - Important information from non-english LDP efforts

Yes, the new things are worth mentioning in a weekly news page, maybe in a
separate section?

> This is possible if someone who participates on the non-english
> list updates us with relevant information.

Anybody volunteering for this?

>  - A short two/three line description of a news item about the
>    LDP with the link to the original article (press coverage etc.)

That'll be monthly news then, or yearly? :)  Anybody who knows about press
coverage about tldp in their country/on a website/in a magazine, tell us!

> And what about the actual format of the news (docbook/xml first
> and then render it?), day/time when it is released, translation to
> some other languages for non-enlish LDP lists etc. Maybe Greg or
> someone else can help us with these issues.

I agree with Greg on XML, it is most versatile.

About the interviews with the writers, maybe we can keep that subject for
when the others are temporarily not updateable :)
We'll have our hands full as it is; it is clear that you have thought this
over but indeed some effort will be required to get us rolling (again).

Giridhar, shall we make a draft of a weekly news page, post it here, see
what everybody says and work from there?

Tille.

- --

My Penguin, my freedom.		http://tille.soti.org