discuss: Re: LDPWN (weekly news)

Subject: RE: LDPWN (weekly news)
From: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag ####@####.####
Date: 15 Apr 2003 11:01:09 -0000

Greg Ferguson ####@####.#### wrote:
> Let me know what the 3 of you decide. We can setup/provide

Machtelt initiated a private discussion regarding this. We plan
to work together. We did not hear from Torsten Schlabach yet, but
I guess that is a timezone problem. I am in GMT +5:30

> Obviously this can change - if you have ideas to make it
> better, please let us know!

Primarily, this is what I would like to see in the LDPWN. Please
suggest additions, corrections, modifications etc. to it.

 - Announcements regarding newly released documents (with the
   summary) - easy info from announce list
 - Requests for comments on new documents and proposals for new
   documents - Most of these are posted to the discuss list but
   is anyone of you also on the editors list? is that active?

The above two would be done by being subscribed to the list and
following them closely

 - Summary of important discussion items from the discuss list
   (With the URL to the archive thread etc.) This is very useful
   for people who want to be involved in the LDP discussions but
   can't keep up with the list.
 - Summary of important discussion items from other LDP lists

These can also be done by following the various lists but we have
to co-ordinate who covers which thread and at what point of time
(for example, a discussion that starts on a friday is better
covered in the following week as there might be replies to it in
the following week).

 - Important information from non-english LDP efforts

This is possible if someone who participates on the non-english
list updates us with relevant information.

 - A short two/three line description of a news item about the
   LDP with the link to the original article (press coverage etc.)

This is mostly voluntary effort, we can have a small "help us" note
at the end of each issue of LDPWN and collect information for this.

This might sound a bit ambitious but I think this is what someone
subscribed to LDPWN would be looking for. We can make a start and
see where it goes. I am essentially looking for something on the
lines of [1] Debian Weekly News and [2] Kernel Traffic as far as
the content and format are concered.

 [1] http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/current/issue/
 [2] http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/latest.html

And what about the actual format of the news (docbook/xml first
and then render it?), day/time when it is released, translation to
some other languages for non-enlish LDP lists etc. Maybe Greg or
someone else can help us with these issues.

The publication system for generating Kernel Traffic is available
at http://kt.zork.net (GPLed) and we can ask Martin Schulze (Debian
Weekly News) if he can share the scripts that are used to generate
the news in text/html.

> a ftp loging with the assistance of the ibiblio folks, or
> provide some other means for you to publish the updates.

Please update us regarding the options available.

	Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag        ####@####.####

Not throwing out the baby with the bath-water doesn't mean that
you cannot improve the system. I'm only arguing against stupid
people who think they need a revolution to improve - most real
improvements are evolutionary. - Linus Torvalds

an individual are not necessarily those of UbiNetics