discuss: change the Novell Server to Linux

Subject: Re: change the Novell Server to Linux
From: Torsten Schlabach ####@####.####
Date: 10 Apr 2003 11:28:53 -0000

Kin,

I am not sure if this discussion belongs on the Linux Documentation Project
discussion list unless you want to make the general public aware of the need
to have "Replace Netware with Linux Services" HOWTO.

Did I get this right? You want to replace the NetWare server by a Linux
server, but you want your clients to stay on DOS? You don't want Linux clients?

Assuming that; are you sure your Clipper, DBF, NTX programs really *run* on
the Netware Server or do they run on each individual client PC and just
access the central data files on the Novell Server? (I never heared of a Clipper
version that was able to compile NetWare Loadable Modules, or did I miss
that.)

This discussion let's me ask the question: How about a "Migrating legacy
platforms to Linux HOWTO?". I think is there is a lot people out there who have
heared that Linux might be something good for them but they lack a starting
point to gain an understanding of how to migrate their legacy environments to
Linux.

(Imagine there is people out there who still don't know that you can use
Samba to provide file sharing for your Windows network. I really meet people
like that every 2nd day! So imagine these people start thinking about migrating
a home written Clipper / dBASE / VisualBasic / MS Access / whathaveyou
application to a new Linux environment. Those people need help!)

Torsten