discuss: Re: New submission: Printing with Debian and Windows Mini-HOWTO

Subject: Re: New submission: Printing with Debian and Windows Mini-HOWTO
From: Ian Ward ####@####.####
Date: 9 Apr 2003 02:44:10 -0000

used http://www.cups.org/ghostscript.php instead.

> # Windows printer drivers format their output for the printer before
> # sending it across the network. You must configure CUPS to accept
> # the pre-formatted output by uncommenting the following line from
> # /etc/cups/mime.convs:
> #
> #    application/octet-stream   application/vnd.cups-raw   0   -
>

> This is only half of the requirements, as I wrote earlier. The other
> half is to uncomment the (last!) line in /etc/cups/mime.types:
>
> application/octet-stream

fixed (whoops)

> # Your Linux printers should now be shared to Windows PCs on the LAN.
>
> This is only true if you have, in cupsd.conf, this section:
>
>    <Location /printers>
>    </Location>
>
> correctly configured.
> Configuration of access control regarding these locations works similar
> as access control for "Apache", the web server. You need to specifically
> make a CUPS host to become a "CUPS server" (to share its printers) --
> -- the default is that it is acting as a "client" only (or a selfcontained
> "localhost-only" print server...)
>
> A simple example, to change a host to share all its printers:
>
>    <Location /printers>
>     AuthType None
>     Order Deny,Allow
>     Deny From None
>     Allow From All
>    </Location>
>
> gives access to everybody without asking for a password.
>

> A more advanced example:
>
>    <Location /printers/LaserJet8100>
>     AuthType Digest
>     Order Deny,Allow
>     Deny From All
>     Allow From 10.160.48.0/255.255.252.0
>     Allow From *.danka.de
>     Allow From 10.160.3.13
>     Satisfy Any
>    </Location>
>
> gives access to printer "LaserJet8100" under these conditions (while
> the access to all the other printers remains as defined in the
> "<Location /printers>...</Location>" section):
> --  *if* you either know the "Digest" password (create it
>      by using "lppasswd" -- doesn't work for Windows clients),
> --  *or if* the client belongs to subnet 10.160.48-51.0-255,
> --  *or* to domain "danka.de",
> --  *or* is the host 10.160.3.13.
>
> Per default, CUPS (compiled from source or as shipped by most distros)
> acts as a client-only setup.

I believe that these sections are in the default config from the Debian
package  (I never had to manually tweak them)  If the same is not true
in other packages/distros I will add a note.

Hmm.. this might have been because I wasn't using the builtin samba/cups
interaction.  This is relevant to another thread, so I'll follow up
there.

> Cheers,
> Kurt   [ what about the license you using for the document? Is the
>          "Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike License 1.0" compliant
>          to LDP requirements?  -- I didn't read it... ]

It is.  LDP requirements aren't very stringent though.