discuss: IPsec Howto

Subject: Re: IPsec Howto
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Apr 2003 21:11:24 -0000

Hi all,

Last week  Ralf Spenneberg sent  a note to the list stating his intention
to author a IPSec HOWTO. I asked Barb Kane to reply to the email letting
everyone know that she too was working on an IPSec document and so that
Ralf would know what kinds of information was covered in her document. I am
posting her response here because she is not subscribed to the discuss
list.

This IPSec HOWTO is scheduled to be offered to the TLDP for publication in
the beginning of May.

Please include ####@####.#### in any discussion you have on this topic.

Thanks,

joy

************************
Joy Y. Goodreau
LTC Information Development, Team Lead
Collections Editor for The Linux Documentation Project (www.tldp.org)
Office: (512) 838-4118;  T/L:  678-4118
####@####.####

----- Forwarded by Barb Kane/Beaverton/IBM on 04/07/03 12:59 PM -----

                      Barb Kane
                                               To:      ####@####.#### ####@####.#### ####@####.####
                      04/07/03 12:39 PM        cc:
                                               From:    Barb Kane/Beaverton/IBM@IBMUS
                                               Subject: Re: IPsec Howto(Document link: Barb Kane)

Hi,

I am working on an IPSec Howto based on the IPSec implementation in the 2.5
kernel, the KAME IPSec user tools setkey (for SA and SP tool), and racoon
(for IKE). The content is:

IP Sec Implementation in both Transport and Tunnel Modes:
-Using manual keying to establish the Security Associations and Security
Policy entries
-Using dynamic keying to establish the Security Associations and Security
Policy entries
  -Using pre-shared secrets
  -Using signatures

Barbara Kane
Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center, Beaverton, OR
(503) 578-4572, T/L 775-4572
####@####.####

                      Luc de Louw
                      ####@####.####          To:       ####@####.####
                                               cc:
                      04/03/2003 05:34         Subject:  Re: IPsec Howto
                      AM

Zitat von Ralf Spenneberg ####@####.####

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about an IPsec HowTo. Especially an HowTo which will cover
> both FreeS/WAN and the new native Kernel 2.5/2.6 IPsec.
> I know there are the VPN Howtos but unfortunately they do not cover this
> terrain. Only the LARTC HowTo has a few pages on IPsec but does not
> cover the pitfalls and basics. I think the topic is both broad and
> specific enough to be covered in a separate HowTo.
>
> What do you think?

I would personally very appreciate such a Document that covers:

-IPsec Theory
-IPsec setup on the VPN Server
-Roadwarrior configuration
-Interoperabilty with other OS and appliances
-How to solve routing problems

If you need a technical review of the document, feel free to contact me. I
maybe
also can help a bit with SGML

rgds

Luc