discuss: re:Re: Maintainer needed for Serial-Programming-HOWTO

Subject: re:Re: Maintainer needed for Serial-Programming-HOWTO
From: Greg Ferguson ####@####.####
Date: 4 Apr 2003 14:51:18 -0000

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 21:27:53 -0600 Howard Shane ####@####.#### wrote:

> This may be an ignorant question, but why haven't the members of TLDP
> made it policy to accept only one or two DTDs? The author HOWTOs and
> FAQs are contradictory on which formats are best, and I can tell just
> from the time I've been on the list that having to stay on top of
> several formats complicates things and detracts from the purpose of the
> project.

It is our policy.

    The LDP officially supports:

    SGML - Linuxdoc, DocBook v3.x, DocBook v4.x
    XML  - DocBook v4.2 or v4.1.2

That is *clearly* stated on the authors page (tldp.org/authors/).
As to complicating, I do not agree. Our publishing system
easily supports these various DTDs and it provides the author
with choice and flexibility. As to what is better...again, it's
up to what the author wishes to maintain the document in.

Sorry, but I don't see this as problem. Quite the opposite.
--
Greg Ferguson    * SGI principal engr / LDP contributor
SGI Tech Pubs    * http://techpubs.sgi.com/ | gferg(at)sgi.com