discuss: Correction on my last message...

Subject: Re: Correction on my last message...
From: "Gary Frerking" ####@####.####
Date: 2 Apr 2003 06:31:42 -0000

Robert Gallimore said:

> On my last message, I incorrectly placed the word "coherent" when in
> fact the word I meant to print was "cohesive." Seriously, what would
> happen if Torvalds gave up Linux? I did not realize that some people are
> so in love with their computer that they flame the users of similer,
> competing op. systems. I'm new to the whole "open source" deal. I'm just
> trying to get advice as to which system to pick.

Robert,

When you come to a Linux list and pose this question, the suspicion is that
you got the question from the FreeBSD folks. So the perception here is that
the flames have essentially already been blown our way. The question has
been brought up many times before, often by the folks that do competing OSs.
I know for a fact that it's been floated by the FreeBSD folks. They've used
it on occasion as a "differentiator" to try to show that FreeBSD is better.
There are a lot of big companies basing an awful lot of their business and
infrastructure on Linux. They don't seem to be too worried about what will
happen if Linus gets hit by a bus.

In other words, trying to decide which operating system to use based on a
crystal ball is crap. FreeBSD evolved out of the work of a single person,
Bill Jolitz. He threw up his hands and bailed, and three people took over.
None of those three people are members of the current FreeBSD "core
developers" -- yet FreeBSD still seems to be moving along okay.

Could that same progression happen to Linux? Yeah, I guess. And it'd
probably move along okay. In a sense, there is already a group of "core
developers" with Linux. It's just not formalized like FreeBSD's "core
developers" are. They're all bright people, and none of them want Linux to
die, so I imagine they'll figure something out.

A "committee" model has advantages and disadvantages just like a "single
leader" model does. Heck, what's to say some natural disaster or terrorist
act won't wipe out all the FreeBSD core developers while they're at some get
together?

I suggest you put away your crystal ball and decide on the operating system
based on your needs, and how a given OS can fit those needs. Do a little
investigation to determine that on your own.

There is no single magic factor that makes one OS the obvious choice. Some
people use both. I use both.

curly.frerking.org, my web server, runs FreeBSD. moe & larry run Linux. I've
had that basic setup for several years now (switched things around a bit a
few times for experimentation purposes). If I had to shift everything one
way or the other, I could. But I don't. Why should I? Do you *only* eat one
type of food for dinner? If you're used to Snap-On tools but someone handed
you a Craftsman, do you think maybe you could still get the job done? If you
prefer Hondas, but the rental company only rents Toyotas -- do you think you
could manage? Do you *only* sleep with one...um...nevermind. I guess most
people do (but they wish they didn't have to <g>). I'll let you in on a
little secret -- I'm typing this in XP right now (shhh!).

Be flexible, my man. *That's* the key to security down the road; not
speculation on whether an OS can survive if someone dies. Heck, you're the
one talking about people being so in love with their OS that they flame
other OSs, but yet you're trying to settle on *one* OS. Use the right tool
for the job.

That said, I think you've probably already noticed that there is a heck of a
lot more info and help floating around for Linux than there is for FreeBSD.
There's also a lot more people floating around that know Linux than people
that know FreeBSD. That means there's a better chance that your neighbor or
bowling buddy could help you with Linux. Seems like that would be a better
place for a beginner to start.

Sorry for the bandwidth, folks.

-- Gary