discuss: Using The Telnet In Linux

Subject: Re: Using The Telnet In Linux
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 1 Apr 2003 20:49:17 -0000

Allan Robertson wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have here my first attempt at a Mini-HOWTO about the Telnet tool in Linux, that is attached in a *.txt format. I would welcome any feedback or comments prior to submission to TLDP.
>
> Many Thanks
> Allan Robertson

[snip]

OK, good start. Let me just point out a few details. First of
all telnet is a protocol of the Internet as well as a program
to access this service. This could be a source of confusion.

Also the telnet program will typically connect using the standard
port numbers for the telnet protocol but with the typical
flexibility found in Linux et al, it is quite possible to access
other services using other ports, for instance port 80 to debug a
web server.

You are correct in that telnet is a basic yet useful service.
Nevertheless there is a lot of finesse available to the adventurous,
often accessed by entering CTRL-] (I think, please double check).
Some modern alternatives like PuTTY for MS Windows can access these
functions from a menu.

Then there are the terminal functionalities: vt100 and more.

Since you mention MUDs you could also mention clients such as
TinyFugue that uses the telnet protocol to communicate but adds
macros, a minimum of presentation to improve on usability.

For all its simplicity the telnet protocol is getting a bit old
fashioned, particularly due to its lack of security. Telnet to a
machine and  you will have to send username and password as
plaintext. Enter ssh: it does much of what telnet does but with
added security and optionally also compression.

OK, so the scope just broadened by orders of magnitudes but don't
despair. A mini-HOWTO starts out simple but can after a while grow
until it becomes more and more complete within its field. Just as
an example, my own HOWTO started out as a 3 page technical memo,
became a 10 page mini-HOWTO, grew into a full scale HOWTO and stands
at about 90 pages these days.

I believe the LDP could do with a telnet HOWTO and hope you will
give it your best effort.

Best regards,
    Stein Gjoen