discuss: Maintainer needed for Serial-Programming-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Maintainer needed for Serial-Programming-HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 1 Apr 2003 07:29:09 -0000

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:53:41PM +0200, Alexander Bartolich wrote:
> David Lawyer wrote:
> > [...] But I consider Linuxdoc to be a lot easier to work with and hence
> > "better" in a sense. So I think that step one was negative progress :-).
>
> Sure. And the South will rise again.
>
> > [...] This info was already in Vern Hoxie's Serial-Programming-HOWTO
> > and I had let the maintainer know about this when he took it over.
> > So I jumped to the conclusion that the HOWTO wasn't being maintained
>
> Well, I followed the link to ftp://scicom.alphacdc.com/pub/linux and
> found two interesting flat text documents. Looks good.
>
> As I see it you really need a DocBook grinder merging the stuff and
> producing a nice to read, easy to maintain compound of working examples
> and fully LDP-complying markup.

I don't agree.  DocBook source looks cluttered and is harder to maintain than
Linuxdoc, especially if one uses an editor that doesn't support DocBook.

This whole episode tends to show the problems with DocBook.  If the time
spent converting it to DocBook had been spent merging in Vern's stuff,
we might have had a better HOWTO for the last year and a half.  Vern
accused people at the LDP as emphasizing form over substance when it
should be the other way around.  On this I think he was right.

> I'll give it a try.

It's not up to me to say no, but I really would like to see Gary
Frerking work on it since he had it originally and says he's willing to
give it another try.  I feel bad about asking for a new maintainer when
I should have contacted him first.  But if it turns out that Gary
Frerking doesn't have time to do it, then I would like to see you do it.
I also suspect that Gary is more knowledgeable about the subject.