discuss: Author Guide - Writing a New HOWTO in DocBook

Subject: Re: Author Guide - Writing a New HOWTO in DocBook
From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2001 01:46:58 -0000

"Patrick K. O'Brien" wrote:

> Sure. Then you get an "XML requires a system ID after a public ID" error

Here is where I admit I'm one of those vi people your parents warned
you about ;)

> from PSGML when you C-c C-p. Which means I'm missing the system ID,
> obviously. Which I understand because I do actually know a fair amount about
> XML. And I've even got a hard-copy version of Norman Walsh's DocBook sitting
> in front of me. Of course, his recommended system ID is
> http://nwalsh.com/docbook/xml/3.1.4/db3xml.dtd, which strikes me as being
> not quite current, especially in light of the fact that the book was
> published in October of 1999. So I've spent an hour trying to find what
> would be the most current system ID to use because ultimately I'd like to
> create some XML templates and I want them to be perfect. (Call me anal.) And
> I still haven't found it. If it is documented in the Author Guide, it ain't
> exactly easy to find. <pout>

It isn't (yet), mostly because I work with vi (which itself lacks XML
support).  If you figure out the solution and send me an e-mail, I'll
be sure to include it in the LAG.

> So I'm not a happy camper at this point. But I do appreciate your help and
> your patience.

BTW, new version of the LAG out tomorrow that might fix up the PDF issues you
found, plus a huge number of spelling and grammar patches.

-Mark

--
Mark Komarinski - Senior Systems Engineer - VA Linux Systems
(cell)  978-697-2228